Saturday, January 5, 2013

Roasted Fennel & Broccoli Pesto Flatbread! GF, V, BED, SCD!


Well I’m back in the city! Today was full on errands, odds and ends. You know how when you return from a trip, there’s always little things you have to do? Stock the fridge, sort the mail, do the laundry, unpack, put the Christmas decorations away….
But you didn’t come here to hear about my “to do” list :)…..onto the FOOD!
super yum!!
super yum!!
My very last meal I made for my parents and I before I left was a delicious and unique recipe…
how unique :)
how unique :)
A Roasted Fennel and Zucchini Flatbread!
yummo!
yummo!
It was sooo good! And had such an interesting flavor!
bright and fresh with a sweet note!
bright and fresh with a sweet note!
And it’s Gluten Free, Body Ecology Diet and Specific Carb Diet Friendly with a Vegan option!
creamy and luxurious sauce!
creamy and luxurious sauce!
Here’s what you need:
1 bulb of fennel, cut into wedges
1 zucchini squash (I used yellow), cut into half moons
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
Sauce:
2 1/4 cups broccoli, steamed
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 small clove of garlic, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup fresh basil
salt and pepper
Crust:
3/4 cup almond flour
2 egg whites (vegan option: 2 flax/chia eggs)
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prep your fennel by removing the outer leaves, cutting off the stalks, and slicing it into wedges by slicing it through the “button” at the end to keep it together. Also prep your zucchini by slicing it in half lengthwise, and then slicing ¼ inch half-moons.
Place them on a tin-foil-lined, olive-oil sprayed baking sheet. Spritz with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once half way through.
mmm mmm mmm!
mmm mmm mmm!
Next, mix your almond flour, egg whites (or vegan egg) and salt until well combined. Place it on a parchment-lined-cookie sheet. Place another piece of parchment on top and “smoosh” it out to the edges, creating a flatbread crust. Leave the top paper on and bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through.
While those are baking away, steam 2 ¼ cups of broccoli until tender. Take it out when it is bright green and firm, but tender. Also, toast your pine nuts. Place your pine nuts, basil, garlic, salt, broccoli, and lemon juice in the food processor and process until creamy and smooth.
Also, sauté your red pepper in 1 tsp EVOO with salt and pepper. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
so pretty:)
so pretty:)
To assemble: Spread your broccoli pesto sauce over your crust, and top with your fennel, zucchini, and red peppers. There will be extra veggies and some sauce left over, I just served them on the side, atop a bed of greens.
scrumptious!
scrumptious!
This flatbread was delicious! It had such a unique flavor! The bright and fresh pesto, with the anise-flavored fennel and sweet bell peppers was magnificent!
so colorful!
so colorful!
And the crust! Oh the crust! The almonds gave it this wonderfully nutty undertone. And it was sturdy! You could pick it up with your hands! It was fluffy and chewy and everything you want in a crust!!
fluffy and sturdy crust!
fluffy and sturdy crust!
Not to mention, its beauty was show-stopping :)
happy cooking!
happy cooking!
A fabulous way to end a wonderful trip.
What was the highlight of your holiday season?
Here's another food processor recipe! If you haven't noticed, I LOVE mine...a lot. I use it every day. It allows me to transform the textures of my food and create sauces, even ice cream! In this recipe, I also used my olive oil mister, which allows me to spritz EVOO without having to use a chemical-laden cooking spray. Finally, a good knife is really worth the investment. They say a dull knife is the most dangerous tool in the kitchen. Here are the ones I use:

2 comments:

  1. I wish this could be eaten cold. i would take it to a gluten free meal Feb.9, 2013. Unfortunately, It would be out of the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

    Any suggestions?

    I have never cooked fennel before. You make it sound easy. I like to use fennel seed.

    Looking forward to more recipes and following Gluten Free Fridays.

    Corn is one gluten free product I can eat. I have 5 flours I can't eat.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for checking out my site! I think if you keep it covered, it could be eaten room temperature, as there is nothing that must be refrigerated or eaten hot. Hope that helps!
      Coconut flour is another great flour alternative!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!