Sunday, January 27, 2013

Coconut Raisin Cookies! GF, SCD, V Option!

Well I'm back in NYC after a fabulous week at Sundance. I hope you all enjoyed my "reporting" from the slopes!



What an amazing week it was. I don't know about you, but I always find it hard to settle back into reality after a great trip. Especially with family. I'll admit...I was totally "that girl" at the airport. Yep...I shed a tear saying goodbye to my fam.



So anywho...one of the films that we saw...the documentary, Blood Brother, won both the Audience Award and the Grand Jury Award at Sundance! It was such a moving and inspirational film. It was about this guy who moves to India and lives/works at a hostel for children with HIV and it documents his journey and love story with these kids. There wasn't a dry eye in the house.



So yesterday, after a foggy flight back to NYC, I arrived home to a seriously frigid city. We're talking  stinging cold. Like the unexposed skin literally stings when you walk outside!



So back in Deer Valley, at the Fireside Dining, Chef Shane made my sister-in-law and I these AMAAAAZING almond flour cookies. So naturally, I was inspired to make them when I got home. And boy were these spectacular!



Coconut Raisin Cookies!

And they're Gluten Free, Sugar Free & Specific Carb Diet friendly with a Vegan & Body Ecology Diet option!



Soft, pillowy and chewy goodness, all in a little bite sized cookie.

Here's what you need: (makes 5 small cookies)

1 package of coconut butter (2 Tbsp)
1 egg - room temp (Vegan option: 1 flax/chia egg)
2 "droppers full" of pure liquid stevia (SCD use 3 tsp honey)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup almond flour
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp raisins (BED use dried currents)



Preheat oven to 350. "Cream" your egg and coconut butter in a medium sized bowl until it is well incorporated. Add in your sweetener and vanilla. In another small bowl, combine your dry ingredients. Mix your dry and wet together, and fold in your raisins. Scoop 1 Tbsp of the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes. Makes 5 cookies.



Wow. These were SO good! Exactly the sweet treat I was after! The coconut butter made these cookies incredibly soft and moist! And they weren't crumbly or chalky at all, like many gluten free baked goods!



The texture was marvelous. They were fluffy and pillowy, with these little pops of sweet-chewiness from the raisins.

The cinnamon gave them a warm spiciness that complimented the nuttiness beautifully.



Next time you want a little sweet something, try these cookies! They come together in a flash, and are just the right size to satisfy that sweet tooth! And since it's a small batch, you won't have 100 cookies laying around for the next week tempting you:)

Until next time!

For this recipe, I creamed my coconut butter and egg with my KitchenAid hand mixer! I love it because it's pink for breast cancer:) You can find one here:


4 comments:

  1. These look so so delicious. I miss you very much, Care. It was fun having your awesomeness to hang out with for an entire week. You truly are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mare. It was really great to be together. I'm so lucky to be your daughter. I love you!

      Delete
  2. These look delicious! I think I'll make them this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gabby! I hope things are well on your end! Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your Thursday!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!