Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mango Salsa! GF, V, SCD!


Super fun day today!!
It started off with my audition which was…eeh…just ok. Oh well, chalk it up to good practice:) And then…I had a wonderful morning with my friend who was visiting for the afternoon! We chatted and ate lunch in Central Park! Such a fun spot for people watching:)
Finally, later that afternoon, I went with another friend to go see the John Lennon pop up art exhibit in Soho. It was so cool — I had no idea he did visual arts too!
While I was in Soho, I walked past this amazing shop: The Chobani Yogurt Shop! It’s like   Pinkberry, but with real Chobani greek yogurt! When I was eating dairy, I looooved Chobani yogurt — how cool that there is a real yogurt bar now! And let me tell you, it was hoppin’!! I had to document it:)
Chobani Greek Yogurt Bar!
So this dish that I’m going to share with you tonight is truly one of my family’s favorites. Every time there’s a special occasion, we always whip this out because it is a show-stopper, and everybody RAVES about it! The salsa itself is vegan, but the fish we had it over is obviously not. But this would also be a great salsa over tofu or even over a fresh salad!
And it’s Gluten Free and Specific Carb Diet friendly!
Broiled Cod with Mango Salsa and Cilantro Lime Wild Rice. So delicious! We had all the ingredients, so it was a crime NOT to make this delicious dinner!
Here’s what you need for the salsa:
1/4 red onion – minced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 cucumber, seeded and diced
1 mango, diced
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp EVOO
chopped cilantro
salt and pepper
Combine all in a bowl and pop in fridge for a half hour.
I then broiled Lobsta Bakes’ wild, ocean-caught cod for about 20 minutes in 1 tsp EVOO, salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice. This fish is our absolute favorite, because it is so moist and flakey! It is tender, with delicate, sweet “meat!”
I made wild rice that was flavored with cilantro and lime. Holy Cow. Zesty!! (Unfortunately, the rice is not SCD friendly). First, wild rice is so fantastic because of its nutty flavor and crunchy texture. Not to mention the drama it brings to the plate with its dark, deep hue. I made it with veg stock, and then after it had evaporated all the liquid, I stirred in the zest of 1/2 a lime, the juice of 1/2 a lime, and a big bunch of chopped cilantro.
This meal was 100% delicious. It really is everyone’s favorite meal. It has so much going for it! It’s sweet, tangy, bright, fresh, and nutty! The mango is succulently sweet and juicy, while the cilantro is bright and fresh. The wild rice is nutty and crunchy, which is highlighted beautifully by the tangy lime juice in the salsa and echoed in the rice! And the textures are just fantastic! There is so much *crunch* from the peppers and cucumbers, and chewy-crunch from the wild rice, while the juicy mango completes the dish! Phenomenal.
Finally, this dish is just so beautiful. There are so many bright and wonderful colors dancing on the plate! The deep red peppers, lime green cilantro, purple onion, yellow mango, and soft green cucumber, all brought together with the deep black wild rice. Just gorgeous!
We just can’t stay away from this scrumptious dish. And best of all — it’s all allergy-free! Woo!
What did you today!?
Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!