Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Daikon Chips w/ Guacamole! GF, V, BED, SCD!

Happy Tuesday! How's everyone's week going?

OK...serious question...Who watched the Bachelor?! :D

Guilty as charged. I know, I know...such garbage....but I like it:) I thought the prank he pulled on Desiree was not cool...not cool at all.

Also -- If you want to be on the GFHT Email List to receive my recipes in your inbox, leave me a comment with your email, or email me @ Caralyn4@gmail.com and I'll add you to the list!

So anywho...onto the Food!



I think I have a subconscious longing for chips...haha...I see people eating them on the subway all the time, and since I can't have them on the SCD, I think I subconsciously want them...which is weird, because growing up, I was never even really a "chip person!!"

Soooo, I made Daikon Radish Chips with Red Pepper Guacamole!



Wait wait wait...daikon radishes? What the heck are those?.......Well, they're those big white tube-looking veggies in the produce section. They also come looking like white carrots, but I bought the big tube -- perfect for chips.




And come on...annything with guacamole is a winner!


And it's Gluten Free, Vegan, Body Ecology Diet and Specific Carb Diet friendly!



Here's what you need: (serves 1)

1 daikon radish, sliced thin on a mandolin
1 zucchini, sliced thin on a mandolin

Guacamole:
1 avocado, mashed
1 garlic clove, grated
2 Tbsp red onion, minced
squeeze of lime
big pinch of salt
2-3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped

Mix Ins:
1/2 red pepper, small dice
6 cherry tomatoes, halved

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Carefully slice your radish and zucchini on a mandoline. Place the slices on 2 tin-foil-lined, olive-oil-sprayed baking sheets in a single layer. Spritz with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.

Meanwhile, make your guacamole. Mash your avocado in a bowl with the salt, garlic, and lime. Stir in your cilantro and onion. Then, fold in your desired Mix Ins.

Serve your chips with your guacamole and devour!

This meal was fantastic! Let me just tell you about this guacamole....it is outrageous. In fact, I don't mean to "toot my own horn," but among my family and friends, I'm kinda famous for it. Whenever I go to a party, or dinner get together, people ALWAYS request me to bring my guac. I literally make like a quadruple batch, and it's gone within 5 minutes. It is THAT good. I usually don't put red peppers in it, but I wanted to get an extra veggie in there tonight:)



And the chips were marvelous! I already know that I love zucchini chips, but the daikon chips were such a pleasant surprise! They weren't super *crunchy*...they were more of a chewy texture, but that was fine with me...they were wonderful! Their raw flavor is somewhat intense, but when you bake them, they become almost nutty and scrumptious!



Would I have liked to eat this guac with tortilla chips? Yes. But were these chips the next best thing? Absolutely!

Do you have a signature party dish?

This meal was made possible by two of my favorite kitchen tools: my mandoline, and my olive oil mister! This mandoline is great because it has a hand guard, which I found out the hard way, is a must!! And then my EVOO sprayer makes it so I don't have to use chemical-laden cooking spray. Here are the ones I use:


10 comments:

  1. Daikon chips! Now I've heard of everything. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. I'll have to check this one out. I love how you strive to delight your readers and serve those with the challenging dietary restrictions. Your blog is a labor of love. I admire that about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mare, I appreciate that. Can't wait to see you in a couple days:)

      Delete
  2. Which number thickness did you use for the mandoline? DO the zucchini chips come out crispy or soft like the daikon chips?

    If you don't have an oil spritzer, what can you use? Must you bake them on aluminum foil?

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris! I used the thinnest setting on the mandoline. And if you don't have an oil spritzer, you could use an organic olive oil cooking spray. It's not the best, but it's better than Pam, or something like that. And I bake them on aluminum foil because it makes clean up a breeze. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Caralyn, I love the idea of daikon chips! I bet they taste amazing. What a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you so much Kim! Glad you stopped by! Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. i love the idea of daikon chips.. and they look so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Richa! Yeah they were a little " out of the box" but totally delicious! Thanks for stopping by! I hope you're having a great week!

      Delete
  5. Desiree is actually my favourite so far - I'm such a sucker for this show lol. I read Reality Steve so I counter my like for the show by the fact that I disillusion myself as to what goes on behind the scenes, haha! I loooove daikon btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I've never read that book, but it sounds interesting! It's such a guilty pleasure...love it! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great night!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!