Saturday, January 5, 2013

Beet & Avocado Cauliflower Flatbread! GF, V, SCD!


Hi HT friends! Thank you for your sweet comments yesterday for my mom and my birthday party!
Here are some fun pics of my sister-in-law’s gorgeous dinner she made!
a delicious caprese salad – those are the hands of a surgeon in the background:)
brie and baguette – as promised:)
gorgeous mango salsa – my recipe found here…my S-I-L added black beans and corn too! yum!
all set for a party!
One last thing, I’ve had several readers ask for my Pinterest and Twitter handles….
Pinterest: GFreeHappyTummy
Twitter: @GFHappyTummy
Facebook: GlutenFreeHappyTummy
Beet & Avocado Cauliflower Pizza!
So now, onto tonight’s dinner! I’m really excited to share it with you! I’ve been dreaming it up for a couple days:)
yum!
Beet & Avocado Cauliflower Flatbread!
what a meal!
Yes, Cauliflower is at it again!! This time, teaming up with Nature’s candy….BEETS!!
saved ya a slice:)
I haven’t had beets in a loooong time. Mainly, because they’re not on the Body Ecology Diet, but also because I’m actually a little weary of the pink-stained hands, cutting boards, and potentially clothes and counter tops. :P However, this pizza is worth. it!
such a crispy, chewy crust!
Here’s what you need: (serves 1)
Crust:
1/3 head of cauliflower, riced and wrung dry (about 1 cup when packed and dry)
2 egg whites (Vegan Option: 2 flax/chia eggs)
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
Toppings:
1 beet, cubed
1/2 bulb of fennel, shaved thin on a mandolin
Avocado Sauce:
1 avocado, mashed
salt
squeeze of lime juice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put your raw cauliflower florets into the food processor, and process until it resembles rice. Then place “rice” in a clean kitchen towel and wring out all the excess water. This is really important! I get about 1 cup of water out of my cauliflower! Combine it thoroughly with your almond flour, salt, egg whites and garlic powder. Cut 2 sheets of parchment paper the size of a baking sheet. Put your batter onto one sheet of parchment, and place the other sheet on top. “Smoosh” it out as thin as you can. LEAVE THE TOP PAPER ON, and bake as a “parchment sandwich” for 30-35 minutes. Take out, spray with EVOO and return to the oven for another 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, scrub the outside of your beet with a dish scrubbie. Then, cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place on a tin-foil-lined, olive-oil-sprayed baking sheet, spray them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and bake for 35 minutes at 400 degrees, flipping once halfway through.
While your beets and crust are baking, carefully shave your fennel on a mandolin, and make your avocado “sauce.” Place all the ingredients in a bowl, and mash with a fork until you get the desired consistency.
there’s cauliflower in that crust?!?
To assemble:
Top your crust with a thin (or thick :) ) layer of avocado, and top with the beets and shaved fennel.
Beet, Avocado and Fennel!
This flatbread…oh my gosh…OUTRAGEOUS! The ingredients sound a little strange, but it is SO good. I was telling my mom about my plan for dinner this morning, and she kinda looked at me like…”you’re crazy”…and then when she tasted it…her eyes rolled back in her head “wow!” :) I told you so:)
The first thing you notice about this flatbread is how beautiful it is with the deep purple and the bright green! It’s like a Dr. Suess pizza – so whimsical!
delicious!
And then you take a bite and your tastebuds just dance! The sweet beets, with the cool and slightly tangy avocado, and the licorice-y sweet fennel – it’s just a party! I was so sad when it was gone!
Gluten Free, Vegan, Specific Carb Diet friendly!
The texture of the crust was outrageous! No one could believe it was cauliflower! But yes, the humble superstar works its magic yet again! You can pick it up with your hands, and it really is just down-right amazing. Gluten Free — Check! SCD — Check!
Try this flatbread! Your eyes and tummy will thank you! :)
See ya tomorrow!
Need a food processor? Here's the one I use and love:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!