Monday, January 7, 2013

Turnip Chips! GF, V, BED, SCD!


Happy Monday!!
I secretly love Mondays. It’s a new start. You’ve got the entire week to make amazing things happen!
I also love Sunday nights:) I go to church on Sunday nights, so when I come home, I love relaxing and going to bed early. Haha … how old am I?? Sheesh :)
so flavorful!
so flavorful!
Here’s what I had for dinner last night…Oh boy…sheer goodness! I was really craving potato chips! But as you know…potatoes are a “no no” on the Specific Carb Diet…so I racked my brain, and *ding ding ding!*….TURNIPS!
crispy crunchy chips!
crispy crunchy chips!
And to keep it healthy and filling, I made a delicious cauliflower and spinach dip. I loved it. Disclaimer…you have to like spinach, but I absolutely gobbled it up!
And it’s gluten free, vegan, Body Ecology Diet & Specific Carb Diet friendly!
wow oh wow
wow oh wow
Here’s what you need:
2 turnips, sliced thin on a mandoline
5 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 3/4 cups cauliflower, steamed
1 cup spinach
2 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Carefully, slice your scrubbed turnips on the mandoline. Place the rounds in a single layer on 2 tin-foil-lined, olive-oil-sprayed baking sheets. Spritz them with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping half way through.
Meanwhile, steam your cauliflower until tender. Combine it with your spinach, dijon, salt, and pepper in your food processor, and process until smooth.
so green and pretty!
so green and pretty!
To plate, serve a dollop of your cauliflower/spinach dip with your chips, and garnish with sliced tomatoes.
wait a second...that's a turnip?!?
wait a second…that’s a turnip?!?
This meal really hit the spot! I was really craving chips, and on the Specific Carb Diet, chips, or anything “carby” is illegal. So when I was able to create that satisfying crunch, and carb-like texture, I was ecstatic!
gluten free, vegan, Body Ecology and Specific Carb Diet friendly!
gluten free, vegan, Body Ecology and Specific Carb Diet friendly!
And then cauli-spinach dip was wonderful. I loved the tangy-zesty-zip from the dijon mustard. I will be honest of you…you have to like spinach for this to float your boat. But I do, and I thought it rocked! :) It would also make a good sandwich spread.
What are you looking forward to this week? I have a big audition tomorrow night, so I may not be able to post, but I’ll be back for sure on Thursday! See you then!
Need any of the tools I used in this recipe? You already know I'm obsessed with my food processor, but a mandoline makes chips like these possible! Here are the ones I use:

1 comment:

  1. Please add me to your email list

    marthamclementinord@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!