Sunday, January 13, 2013

Tomato Towers! GF, V & SCD w/ BED option!


Hey Hey Happy Tummies!

I hope you all had a fabulous week! I know I sure did!

This week was full of auditions! Keeping busy and loving it!



First of all, thank you all for the helpful tips about the email-service Feedburner. Unfortunately, I tried that "widget" and it rejected my blog because it "exceeded the file size." Soooo, the GFHT Email List will have to suffice! Just leave me your email and I'll add you to the list if you'd like to receive my posts via email!

Also, I have had it brought to my attention that the links in my recipe index page link to pages that "no longer exist." No worries, I have changed the links in my index so they will now work!



Now onto the FOOD!

This. meal. was. ROCKIN!!



Like, we're talking...incredible!

Simple flavors that jive together, presented in an artistic and fun way!



And it's Gluten Free, Vegan, and Specific Carb Diet friendly!

Here's what you need: serves 1

1 tomato, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
1/2 avocado, diced
6 button mushrooms, sliced
1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
salt and pepper

Start out by browning your mushrooms in 1 tsp EVOO. This is best done is a large, non-stick skillet. The trick to get them brown is to place them in a single layer, and then don't touch them for 3-4 minutes. Then flip. Also, don't salt them until after they're browned. After they're browned, add in your spinach and stir it so it wilts. Then add salt and pepper and set aside.

Meanwhile, prep the rest of your veggies. *Don't cut your avocado until your mushrooms/spinach is done so it stays bright green. Then, use either a ring mold, or if like me, you don't have one, you can make one out of parchment paper! I did this by making a cylander tube out of parchment that was the size of the widest part of my tomato. (For some reason tape doesn't stick to parchment, so I stapled it :P ) Then, cut the parchment tube so it is only about 6 inches tall.



Then, I got to the layering! I put one tomato slice on the plate and put it in the bottom of my tube. Then, I poured the diced avocado into the tube, spreading it out to make sure it went to the sides. Topped that with another tomato, then poured in my spinach and mushrooms. Then topped with a tomato. Then, I carefully slid the tube straight up, reavealing my tomato tower! *Carrying/balancing it to the table is a bit tricky...I actually took the tube off at the table to prevent any mushroom or avocado "casualties."



Wow. Oh. Wow.

The flavors, textures, and colors made this an all around 10! I would definitely serve this to dinner guests!



First, the flavors: Oh my gosh, you cannot go wrong with fresh, juicy tomatoes and luxurious avocados. That combination is like Sonny & Cher, Simon and Garfunkle, Elvis & PB & Banana Sammies:) It just works. So then, when you combine the earthy, savory mushrooms with that amazing combo...it's downright outrageous!



And the textures! Holy cow, this was so much fun to eat! The creamy, and rich avocados, with the juicy tomatoes, and the chewy mushrooms...it was a texture fiesta!



Finally, it was striking in beauty. The height of the dish, and the different layers and colors made this as much a piece of art, as a meal!

*And for a BED option, you could use roasted red peppers in place of the tomatoes! mmm!!

Give this dish a try if you're looking for a show-stopping, absolutely delicious dish!

Want to know what tools I used in this recipe? A great chef's knife, and big 'ol nonstick skillet. Here are the ones I use and highly recommend:


See ya tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. This looks awesome Caralyn! Such a gorgeous looking dish BUT did it all fall down when you started to eat it! Lol, this is definitely one to share!

    Good luck with your auditions!

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vicky! Ha, you know, I actually took it apart so I could get the "perfect bite" every time...one with a little bit of everything! haha Thanks! And thanks for stopping by! Have a great night!

      Delete
  2. I would definitely enjoy digging in to that tower! Looks delicious, and it has some of my favorite veggies in it. BTW, your website design is lovely. I like the 2-column layout and the nice, clean look. The header photo is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pat! That was the Pesto Pasta Pie in the header...one of my favorites!! So glad you stopped by! Enjoy your Monday!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!