Saturday, January 5, 2013

Broccoli Tempura! GF, V, BED, SCD!


Do you ever get inspired “culinarily” when you’re out and about? I know I do. Especially now that I’m on the Specific Carb Diet. I see an amazing dish, and I think, how can I make that SCD friendly?
That was just the case with these little gems.
Tempura Broccoli!
I was out the other day (at a sports bar watching the Olympics), and the lady next to us ordered tempura veggies. And oh my gosh, did they ever look and smell good!
So I thought – ok – task at hand: de-grain them, and take out the deep-frying aspect! Easy enough!….err
yum!
Back home, I whipped out some broccoli florets, almond flour, and olive-oil-spray. Let the games begin!
These little guys are Gluten Free, Body Ecology Diet and Specific Carb Diet friendly with a Vegan Option!
golden brown and amazing:)
Here’s what you need: (Serves 2)
1 stalk of broccoli, broken into florets
1/2 cup almond flour
salt and pepper
1 egg white, beaten (Vegan option: Use 1/2 cup almond milk)
2 bowls
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set up your “breading station.” You’ll need one bowl filled with your egg white (or almond milk). You’ll need another bowl filled with your almond flour, salt and pepper. Then, you’ll need a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with olive oil.
Coat your raw broccoli with the egg, then with the almond flour, and then place the floret on the baking sheet. Fair warning: this is a bit of a messy job. I find it’s helpful to have a “wet hand” and a “dry hand.” Once all your little broccoli florets are all coated and on your baking sheet, spritz them with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown, flipping half way through.
what a plate!
These little guys were SO GOOD! I thoroughly enjoyed them! They were just “poppable” little treats! The texture and flavor were just magnificent. The broccoli was tender-crisp from the roasting, and the almond flour coating was crunchy and wonderful!
love me some broccoli!
And the flavor from the almond flour was fabulous. It gave a subtle nuttiness and richness to the broccoli. And the aroma that filled the kitchen while they were baking was wonnnnnderful. (Think roasted nuts!) The almond flour became toasted and golden, releasing its warm flavor.
So maybe these aren’t exactly tempura vegetables, but they’re close enough for me:)
Is there anything you wish you could make gluten free, or vegan, or just healthier?
See ya tomorrow!
Need an olive oil mister? Here's the one I use:

2 comments:

  1. Just made this recipe, and it is as awesome as you say! :) Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good to hear! Thank you! Have a great afternoon!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!