Saturday, January 5, 2013

City Lights Salad! GF, V, BED, SCD!


What a gorgeous day in the city! I ran all over town doing errands and whatnot. And somehow, I ended up at the Union Square Farmers Market — hmmm, wonder how that happened;)
City Lights Salad!
I just couldn’t stay away from the amazing produce! I mean, just look at it!
amazing orange heirloom tomatoes!
So I decided to just let dinner come to me — be inspired by all the veggies around me!
yay sugar snap peas!
And boy, was I ever excited when I found these! Purple and Yellow green beans!! That’s it. Game over. We’re having a whimsical meal – an orange heirloom tomato, and purple and yellow green beans. YUM!
cozy little meal:)
So I did a simple preparation that packed a major punch!
yellow beans!
And it’s Gluten Free, Vegan, Body Ecology Diet and Specific Carb Diet Friendly!
so pretty:)
Here’s what you need: (serves 1 (main), or 2 side dishes)
1 large “handful” of multi colored green beans (around 2 cups) ends trimmed
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into long strips
3/4 cup of snow peas
1/2 onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 heirloom (or “regular”) tomato, sliced (BED omit)
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper
One pot meal alert! :) Saute your onion for about 4 minutes in 1 tsp EVOO with salt, pepper, tarragon and basil. Then, add your garlic. Let it cook for about 2 minutes. Add in your green beans, and let cook for about 3 minutes. Finally, add in your pepper and snow peas and let them cook for about 5 minutes. Add another 2 pinches of salt. Put a lid on top for about 1-2 minutes to finish and soften the veggies.
To assemble, slice your tomato in 1/2 inch slices. Line the plate with the slices. Then, top with your veggies and enjoy!
a meal with a view!
Wow, this meal was incredible! I could seriously taste a difference in the local produce! It was SO fresh and vibrant! Everything about the meal was wonderful – the flavors, the textures, and the colors!!
yummo!
I just discovered that I love tarragon! On a whim, I decided to try it and I’m so glad I did! It’s almost sweet, but very earthy. It pairs wonderfully with basil and garlic! I’m in love!
NYC!!
And the veggies were cooked just perfectly! They were still crisp, but tender. The crunchy beans with the juicy tomato were just delightful!
mmm mmm mmm!
And finally, the colors stole. the. show. I must have been influenced by the glittering lights of Times Square, because this salad was eye-popping!! Red, orange, yellow, green and purple! It was a party on a plate!! This will definitely be a repeat recipe!
Do you ever visit farmers markets?
See ya tomorrow!
Need a good knife? Here's the one I use:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!