Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mexican Broccoli Soup! GF, V, BED, SCD!


I know what you’re thinking…another soup recipe? It’s summer! What’s going on here, Caralyn!?
delicious!
Well, Happy Tummies, it’s time to be straight with you. My tummy is not so happy right now.
Mexican Broccoli Soup!
As you may remember, about a month ago, I got a procedure done to see the severity of my Ulcerative Colitis, as this is the 8th month of my flare.
Well, even with all the healing foods, natural homeopathic meds, and Asacol I’ve been taking, it has not kicked my UC back into remission.
mmmmmm!
I have another doctor’s appointment later this week, but I’ve decided to begin the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. This is a diet that has been shown to be beneficial for Ulcerative-Colitis and Crohn’s Disease.
But many of you will be interested to hear that this diet is also beneficial for those of you suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), or those of you who’d like to lose a few pounds. It also has been shown to help autism and Aspergers.
Tomorrow, I’ll get into how it works – this post is long enough as is ;)
As you may know, I’ve been on the Body Ecology Diet to heal the Candida overgrowth I had. I have now completed Phase One of the BED (3 Months) and have gotten the Candida under control, and will now be transitioning to the SCD.
creamy and cool guacamole!
The SCD and the BED are similar, but just different enough to make a difference. The main difference is that the BED allows 4 grains (quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, and millet), as well as Red Skinned Potatoes and Sweet Corn.The SCD is grain free, including corn and potatoes. The BED prohibits all fruit, since it is a NO SUGAR diet. The SCD allows fruit.
I’m still learning about the SCD – highlighting books like crazy, and taking notes like I am preparing for the MCATs.
so creamy!
I know that a lot of you frequent my blog for BED recipes, and I apologize for switching diets. However, I’ve created over 80 BED recipes that can all be found — clearly labeled — on myRecipe Page. Also, since the two diets are similar, there will be a lot of overlap, and I’ll clearly label the recipes that are also BED, or can be modified for the BED.
This switch is something I need to do for my health. It’s kind of the “last-ditch effort” before having to begin one of two MegaDrugs – a biologic or one that in essence, shuts off my immune system.
healthy never tasted so good!
So the reason for the soups, is that I’m giving my tummy a chance to heal, making it do as little work as possible. So my diet these past few days has consisted of green juice, pureed vegetables, and soup. Very exciting, I know. Back to normal tomorrow though:)
I’m still holding off on fruits until the three months on the BED are exactly up – 5 more days! Don’t worry, there will be a celebratory post on that day! :)
And just to be clear: yes I am still Gluten Free, and yes I am still a Vegan (that eats pastured farm-fresh eggs). :)
Now that the “housekeeping” is taken care of, onto dinner!
gluten-free, vegan, Body Ecology Diet, and SCD!
Tonight’s soup was a Mexican Broccoli Soup! It’s Gluten Free, Vegan, Body Ecology Diet friendly & SCD! And it was super delicious!
so dramatic :)
Complex mexican flavors, topped with a cool and creamy guacamole!
Here’s what you need:
2 stalks of broccoli, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 1/2 cups veg stock
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp cumin
1/4 – 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 – 1/2 tsp paprika
salt and pepper
1 green onion, sliced
cilantro, chopped
Guacamole:
1 avocado
1 garlic clove, grated
1-2 Tbsp red onion, finely minced
1-2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
squeeze of lime
salt
In a large dutch oven, saute your onion in 1 tsp EVOO, salt, pepper, and the spices. Let that cook for about 4 minutes. Then add your broccoli and let it cook for about 6 minutes. Then, add your garlic and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Add your stock. Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cover for 15-20 minutes. Readjust salt to taste. Turn off the heat, and then, with a stick blender, puree your soup until it is smooth and creamy. You can also do this in a blender, just be sure to do it in small batches, since it’s a hot liquid! Finish by stirring in the juice of a lime. Serve garnished with green onions and guacamole.
To make your guacamole, Combine all your ingredients in a bowl, and smash your avocado with the back of a fork. Mmmm!
If corn is okay for you (read: not SCD), this would be great topped with tortilla chips!
Yum Yum Yum!
This soup was terrific. The flavors were spectacular! The warm spices with the broccoli paired perfectly with the cool, fresh guacamole. The cumin, chili powder, and paprika gave it such depth of flavor.
love the broccoli!
And something wonderful happened with the guacamole. You could take your spoon and swirl it into the soup, and that wonderfully bright flavor kissed each bite! And topped with the fresh cilantro, it was just delightful!
Happy Tummy Approved!
What’s your favorite type of soup?
Back to non-soup food tomorrow! :)
See ya then!
Need an immersion blender? Here's the one I use and LOVE:

4 comments:

  1. This soup is so good! I actually cooked it 3 times in a 2 week time period! I prefer it without the guacamole. I love the guacamole, but the flavors in the soup alone work so well together that I prefer it separately. Thank you for this awesome soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! You just made my day! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing your success! Have a great night!

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog. I absolutely love it!! I am a vegan battling Candida and completely off gluten including corn and potatoes. I appreciate and love your recipes. THANK YOU!!! And thanks for sharing your journey. Your positivity is inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Serena! I really appreciate your kind words:) I'm sorry to hear about your health struggles. I can completely empathize with you. I was in the same candida boat last year as a vegan. (To be completely honest, I did add pastured eggs into my diet). But have hope! I was able to cure the candida through the Body Ecology Diet! It took 3 months and I didn't cheat once, but it worked! I still am cautious about eating too much fruit, and I don't eat any sugar. But I feel great and am able to live my life! Thanks for stopping by! Happy healing!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!