Friday, January 4, 2013

Creamy Mexican Slaw! GF, V, BED!


What a day what a day!
Mother Nature couldn’t make up her mind…it started out as a 90 degree, gorgeous day, and by the afternoon, it was storming away outside. Big cracks of thunder and pelting rain. I love pop up storms like that:)
gluten free, vegan, and body ecology diet friendly!
So tonight, I had an avocado-dictated meal. My avocado was just perrrrrrrfectly ripe…it was just begging to be used.
crunchy purple cabbage!
But I didn’t feel like just whipping up a batch of my killer guacamole. You see, my dad does not like when there’s just straight up avocado in my meals. He likes my guacamole, but not avocados… ? … So that meant that I had to disguise it:) And I did indeed! I made a delicious creamy dressing for a crunchy slaw-like salad!
He had no idea;)
carrots and cabbage and peppers oh my!
And, my Creamy Mexican Slaw is Gluten Free, Vegan, and Body Ecology Diet friendly!!
Here’s what you need:
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded on a mandolin
4 large carrots, sliced thin
1 red pepper, diced
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
juice of 1/2 a lime
Dressing
1 avocado, smashed
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp EVOO
2-3 Tbsp minced cilantro
3 garlic cloves, grated
salt
yum!
Super simple: Prep all your veggies. After you cut your red onions, soak them in ice water for 10 minutes (this gets rid on the bitter onion-y bite). Toss with salt and the juice of  1/2 a lime. Then, set aside while you make your dressing.
To make your dressing, you can either make it in the food processor, or by hand. I did it by hand. Simply mash your avocado with the back of a fork in a bowl. Mix in the lime juice, EVOO, garlic, and salt, until you get a thick dressing-like consistency. It won’t be “drizzly,” but it will be much thinner than guacamole. Finally, stir in your cilantro.
such bright, fun colors!
Toss your salad with the dressing, and serve chilled! It’s great by itself, with tortilla chips, or over quinoa – which is how I served it! YUM!
luscious avocado dressing! delish!
This meal was delicious! It was perfect for a summer day – cooling, refreshing, crunchy and fresh! The flavors just exploded – bright lime, fresh cilantro, sweet peppers, and a subtle hint of garlic. And the textures were so satisfying!! The veggies were cool and crunchy, and were coated in a luxuriously rich and creamy dressing. So wonderful.
a pile of flavorful goodness!
Finally, the colors just popped! Purple, orange, green and red — a fiesta on a plate!
What’s your favorite rainy day activity?
Happy Tummies!! :)
Here's a great mandoline if you need one:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!