Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Patchwork Plate! Sweet Potato Fries, Zesty Mushrooms & Cod!


Friday Night! And we meet again! A bit of good news today on the health front…I had a doctor’s appointment today with my holistic doc, and there was some good news. My 3x a day regimen has been cut back and simplified! So, the side effects from the meds that have been plaguing my day have been eliminated. I feel like a new woman! Woo!
crunchy outside with a pillowy center!
So tonight, we were having company over after dinner. After getting home late from my appointment, I had to throw together dinner in time to clean the house and get the hors d’oeuvres ready. Time crunch to say the least!
I made wonderful Sweet Potato Fries with Zesty Carrots and Mushrooms, and Broiled Cod. For a patchwork meal, it was quite delicious!
First, the sweet potato fries. These were amazing — crunchy-chewy on the outside, and pillowy on the inside. Sweet and delicious.
colorful and delicious!
Here’s what you need:
2 Sweet Potatoes, cut into fries
1 tsp EVOO
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets with olive-oil spray. Place cut fries on the sheets. Drizzle with 1 tsp EVOO, salt and pepper. Toss to coat them evenly, and then spread in an even layer on the sheets. (Don’t overlap or they’ll steam instead of crisp). Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Season with salt when you take them out of the oven. Delish!
the not-so-pretty patchwork veggies
Next, the Zesty Carrots and Mushrooms. I’m going to be honest with you. This was supposed to be my amazing Zesty Spinach and Mushrooms. However, right before I added my organic, washed spinach, I came across a BUG in the spinach! I just couldn’t serve buggy spinach, so I made a game time decision and diced up a couple of carrots to throw in with my beautifully sautéed mushrooms. I wouldn’t typically serve carrots and mushrooms together, but we were in a pinch!
gorgeous cod filet with crunchy dill!
Finally, I made broiled cod. Oh goodness, this was so fantastic. Lobsta Bakes‘ wild, ocean-caught cod is probably our favorite fish. It is incredibly flakey and moist with sweet and delicate “meat.” I broiled it with 1 tsp EVOO, salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice, and lots of fresh dill. YUM!! The dill gets kind of charred under the broiler, so its nice and crispy. So good!!
super healthy sweet potato fries!
This meal was actually super enjoyable. The fries were definitely the star of the meal! They stole the show! Chewy, a little crunchy, sweet and salty. They were a 10! Sadly, I couldn’t eat them with ketchup, because of mynew allergies – seriously, who’s allergic to tomatoes?!?! But they were delicious on their own! And even though my zesty mushrooms were paired with carrots instead of spinach, they were still really yummy! Tangy from the Dijon mustard, earthy from the mushrooms, and sweet from the carrots!
We definitely got our Beta Carotene for the day!!
Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!