Thursday, January 3, 2013

Roasted Garlic & Red Pepper Pasta! GF, Vegan & BED!


Well, tonight is our last night in the Northwoods. Take a deep breath, breathe in the peace and serenity one last time. Yep, tomorrow we’re returning to Cincy, driving 12 hours! It’s been a marvelous month up here, and now it’s time to go home. Lots of healing, lots of rest, and taking in everything Mother Nature has to offer.
farewell my feathered friends:)
So tonight’s dinner was a Use-Up-What’s-In-the-Fridge, Scraping-the-Bottom-of-the-Barrel kind of meal. But still fabulous:)
fabulous yellow summer squash!
To my surprise, we had a whole head of organic garlic left! That left me no choice but to ROAST IT!!! :)
vibrant green broccoli!
Tonight, I made a veggie packed pasta with a Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Sauce! It was so delicious! AND, I used quinoa pasta!!! This pasta is awesome! It was my first time trying it and I was thoroughly impressed. The ingredients are: organic quinoa flour and organic corn flour! Score! It’s Body Ecology Diet friendly!
amazing quinoa pasta!
So here’s what you need:
Sauce:
1/2 onion, diced
1 red pepper, roasted
1 head of garlic, to sliced off and roasted
salt and pepper
reserved pasta water
Veggies: (any you have in your fridge will do!)
1 yellow summer squashed, sliced into rounds
6 carrots, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 green onions, sliced
1 stalk of broccoli, broken into florets and steamed
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
sun reflecting off the lake!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Take your garlic and cut the top off. Put it on a piece of tin foil and then spray with olive oil, or pour 1 tsp EVOO over the top of the garlic. Wrap the garlic in the foil, creating a little air-tight pouch. Put this on a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, until you smell the wonderfully nutty garlic. Then, take it out and let it cool in the packet.
yummy roasted red pepper and roasted garlic sauce!
In the meantime, roast your red pepper and prep your veggies. Steam your broccoli for about 3 minutes, until bright green. Then shock under ice cold water. Also, saute your 1/2 onion in 1 tsp EVOO until tender. Add the onions to the bowl of your food processor.
what a meal!
To roast the red pepper, I literally set it on our gas flame burner and kept turning it with tongs until it was completely charred. I then put it in a bowl and covered it with plastic wrap so that the steam loosened the skin. Then, after about 15 minutes, the charred skin peels right off (use your hands), and you’re left with a wonderful, roasted pepper! If you don’t have a gas flame, you can do the same right under the broiler! After you peel the skin and take out the seeds, chop the flesh and put it in the food processor with the roasted garlic, sautéed onion, salt and pepper. To get the garlic out of the skins, just squeeze it from the bottom, and all the buttery, roasted garlic goodness will ooze out:) Yummmm. Blend until you get your smooth, creamy sauce! Wow!
fresh veggies! yum!
Also in the meantime, saute your veggies. Saute your onion in 1 tsp EVOO with salt, pepper, dried oregano and basil. Let it cook for about 5 minutes, then add your carrots. After about 3 minutes, stir in your summer squash and garlic. Let that cook for about 5 or 6 minutes, then stir in your steamed broccoli, just to warm through. Finally, stir in your cooked pasta, sauce and about 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water. Stir to coat and enjoy!
mmmm!
This meal was fabulous! Even though we were working with a nearly empty, end-of-vacation fridge, you wouldn’t be able to tell from our plates! The sauce was just fantastic. The combination of the roasted red pepper and the roasted garlic was SO warm and delicious. The pepper had a sweet, smokey flavor, and the garlic was nutty and slightly sweet. It was delicious on the pasta and veggies!
gluten free, vegan, and Body Ecology Diet friendly!
Finally, I want to give a huge thank you to the wonderful Heather from Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes. She has passed the One Lovely Blog Award onto me! I’m so honored! I love Heather’s blog so much – her recipes are outstanding and her photography stunning. They always make my mouth water! And, she is the sweetest person, always leaving kind and encouraging words:) Thank you Heather!
The rules are fairly simple – share a few things about yourself your readers don’t already know, and pass the award on to some of your favorite bloggers.
So here it goes:
1. I’m an actress. I’ve been living in NYC pursuing my dreams when an Ulcerative Colitis flare erupted, causing me to come home to Cincinnati to heal. Enter: glutenfreehappytummy:)
2. I drive a lemon-lime VW Beetle. Not the typical green ones, but Isotope Green — it’s like the color of a glow-in-the-dark sticker. And it’s a boy. And his name is Maxwell:)
3. I played soccer and basketball all through high school. I love being active to this day!
And I’d like to nominate:
Well, I’m heading to bed early tonight! We’ve got a 5am departure!! Yikes!
Do you like road trips? What do your bring for snacks/entertainment? Book, knitting, magazines, iPod?
See you tomorrow! I’ve got a really special recipe to share…I made it today…dessert! he hehe :D

Need a food processor? Here's my favorite one:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!