Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Halibut Ceviche & Body Ecology Puffed Millet Cookies!


Well, I learned something tonight :: we are NOT ceviche people.
fresh ceviche
Ceviche is a preparation of fish that is popular in South America, that consists of cooking fresh fish without heat. The fish is marinated for several hours in lemon or lime juice, which cooks the fish, due to the highly acidic juice.
beautiful…just not quite our cup of tea
I made this tonight…aaand…well…lets just say we ended up picking out the fish and quickly sautéing it to really give it a cooked consistency.
so fresh and bright!
It was a very flavorful dish, just not quite our “cup of tea.” The fish was more rubbery than flakey. And it was cold.
the peppers gave a great crunch factor!
But the fish itself, once we sautéed it, was phenomenal. Marinating it for that long in the lemon and lime juice made it decadently moist and highly flavorful!
If this post hasn’t scared you away, and you still want to make it…here’s what you need.
fresh halibut, cut into cubes
juice from 3 limes and 1 lemon
red pepper, diced
red onion, finely minced
1 garlic clove, grated
cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, diced
salt
juice of 1 lime
Cover your halibut in the lemon and lime juice, and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours. Combine all the other components of the salad and refrigerate. Before serving, take the halibut from its marinade, (drain excess liquid), and add to the rest of the salad. Serve chilled, garnished with cilantro.
wonderful millet pilaf in the background
The salad itself was wonderful. I loved the fresh flavor of the lime with the cilantro and avocado. And the crunch of the red pepper was so satisfying against the creamy avocado. Next time, we will saute the fish straight away!
And now, another Body Ecology Friendly cookie recipe! For those of you just tuning in, the Body Ecology Diet prohibits ALL sugar: fruit, dairy, grains, starchy vegetables, sweet vegetables, fermented foods, beans and legumes, soy, and alcohols.
such a satisfying texture and delightfully sweet!
So these cookies are quite a feat! And also, quite spectacular!!
They’re very similar to my last B.E.D. cookie, except this one uses another egg white and puffed millet cereal for added texture. Outstanding!!
Here’s what you need:
2/3 cup quinoa flakes
3/4 cup puffed millet cereal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
big pinch of salt
2 egg whites
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp macadamia nut butter (homemade)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (alcohol free)
1 Tbsp pure Stevia powder (NOT “Truvia” or “In the Raw”…..I used NuNaturals)
1 “dropper full” pure Stevia extract
3 Tbsp water
First, I made my own homemade macadamia nut butter. I roasted them in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, let them cool, and then whirled them up in the food processor with salt and 1 drop of stevia. You have to scrape it down a couple of times. I let it run for about 2 minutes — it was a lot more liquidy than I thought it would be. So delicious!
Preheat the oven to 350. I combined all my dry ingredients in one bowl. In another bowl, I “creamed” the egg whites, vanilla, and nut butter with a hand mixer. Once creamed, I added the stevia powder and extract, and blended those together. Finally, I stirred in the quinoa flakes and puffed millet. Scoop heaping Tablespoons onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 7-8 minutes, until cooked through.
Body Ecology Friendly AND gluten free?!? — I’ll take 3! :)
These cookies are absolutely amazing. We’re talking “knee-slapping” scrumptious. They’re fantastic right out of the oven, and also superb the following day, chilled from the fridge! The cinnamon gives these cookies a wonderful sweet-spicy note, and the puffed millet provides a fabulous texture! It’s hard to describe — they’re almost like little chewy pearls baked right inside! Yum!! The crumb is beautifully cakey and delicate, and wonderfully moist from the macadamia nut butter!
This is my new favorite cookie!!
Can you believe I made homemade nut butter in my food processor?! I know, it blew me away too, that my favorite kitchen tool could do that! Here's the one I use:

1 comment:

  1. This recipe for the BED cookie (which looks so yummy) combines eggs with grains. My understanding is this does not follow the food combining principles of the BED, so I'm not sure these are BED unless I am missing something.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!