Tuesday, January 1, 2013

"Can I Get an Amen!" Sweet Potato Souffle!


Can I tell you a secret?
shh! It'll be our secret:)
I’m giddy with excitement to share with you. It’s about potatoes…sweet potatoes. And the secret, is my decadent souffle, that is fat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and 100% out of this world! Give this a try, and you too will be shoutin’ an “Amen!”
Here’s what you need.
2 small sweet potatoes, baked
2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
few good “shakes” of ground cloves
healthy pinch of salt
healthy squeeze of agave — about 1 – 1 1/4 tsp
unsweetened vanilla almond milk — about 4 Tbsp – 1/4 cup
Souffles are notoriously difficult. Yet they are part of a cook’s arsenal of dramatic dishes.  I knew I had to try.
meringue-like, fluffy, egg whites! Better than marshmallows!
Here’s what I did:
1) I microwaved 2 sweet potatoes (prick them first) for 5 minutes, and then put them in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, until they are tender and soft.
2) Split them down the middle and scoop out the flesh. Put in a large bowl with a slug of cinnamon, a bit of ground nutmeg, a dusting of ground cloves, and a healthy pinch of sea salt. I also added in probably 4 T – 1/4 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and just a squeeze of organic agave. I then blended these with a hand blender until they were creamy.
3) In a stand mixer, take 2 room temperature egg whites and whip them with 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar. Beat on high until you get stiff peaks, about 5 or 6 minutes.
4) GENTLY fold in the whipped egg whites to the sweet potato mixture with a silicone spatula in 3 batches. (fold down the bottom, up the sides and over) Be careful not to over mix…you want big chunks of egg whites and streaks of potato. This gives it its light and airy texture.
5) Put in an olive-oil-sprayed souffle dish and bake in a 325 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes until the top is nice and golden.
It's so good, you'll think it's dessert!
With this souffle, I also served my zesty wilted spinach and broiled Walleye.
This is my family’s favorite vegetable that I make. Here’s what you do.
1/2 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 button mushrooms, sliced
2 handfuls of baby spinach
splash of white wine
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard dissolved in 2-3 Tbsp water
Saute 1/2 onion in 1/2 tsp EVOO, salt and pepper. After they soften, add in your garlic and mushrooms and let them release their moisture. After they cook down, add in a splash of white wine, and let that reduce. Finally, add your spinach and wilt it by stirring in your Dijon mixture. YUM.
zesty spinach and mushrooms!
Finally, I served broiled Walleye.Lobsta Bakes’ wild, ocean-caught, Walleye was SO delicious! It was our first time having it, and it had a superb texture! It had a nice chew, but was still flakey and delicately flavored! I broiled it for about 20 minutes with 1 tsp EVOO, salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice. Delish.
gorgeous, flakey walleye
This meal was just….wow. There were so many different flavors going on that were scrumptious on their own, and even better when they were combined together! First, the spinach was so zesty and flavorful with the Dijon mustard. It had a little kick, and was full of outstanding, bright flavor. This paired wonderfully with the lemony fish. And what really set this meal over the top was the souffle! Oh my Gosh! It was airy and light as a cloud! There were streaks of creamy potato, and bites of meringue-like fluffiness. My mom thought I had put marshmallows in it! But no ma’am! Just pure, fat-free, protein-packed, egg whites! 100% amazing.
Try this souffle…you’ll become a believer :)
For the souffle, I blended the sweet potatoes with my cute hand blender! It's pink for breast cancer:) I also used my KitchenAid stand mixer. This is an investment, but if you're into cooking, it's definitely a "kitchen esssential!" Here's where you can get one:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!