Sunday, December 30, 2012

Healthy Gluten & Dairy Free Sweet Potato Souffle!


The start of a new week brings hope and things to look forward to…especially since tomorrow is valentine’s day! Well tonight, we indulged a little teensy bit in a decadent sweet potato souffle! Here’s the catch: its fat and sugar free! Completely healthy and insanely delicious!
You see, when you’re limited to protein sources of: farm fresh eggs, ocean caught fish, and organic tofu, you have to get creative. My mom approached me this morning and said: I have a new combination for you—a sweet potato souffle—sweet potatoes and egg whites!
a wonderful light and airy souffle!
I was intrigued. Souffles are notoriously difficult. Yet they are part of a cook’s arsenal of dramatic dishes.  I knew I had to try.
Here’s what I did:
1) I baked 2 sweet potatoes (prick them first) in a 400 degree oven for 50 minutes.
2) Split them down the middle and scoop out the flesh. Put in a large bowl with a slug of cinnamon, a bit of ground nutmeg, a dusting of ground cloves, and a bit pinch of sea salt. I also added in probably 3 T – 1/4 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk and just a tiny squeeze of organic agave…probably 1/2 tsp. (sorry I didn’t measure any of these….just do to taste). I then blended these with a hand blender until they were creamy.
3) Take 3 room temperature egg whites and whip them with 2 pinches of cream of tartar in a stand mixer. Beat on high until you get nice peaks.
4) GENTLY fold in the whipped egg whites to the sweet potato mixture with a silicone spatula. (fold down the bottom, up the sides and over) Add the egg whites in 3 batches. don’t over mix…the streaks of white just add fluffiness.
5) Put in a casserole or souffle dish and bake in a 325 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes until the top is nice and golden.
i mean, come onnnn :)
This souffle was truly amazing. It was almost like we had a serving of dessert with dinner! But its fat and refined sugar free! Just nutritious sweet potatoes and protein-rich egg whites! The texture was much lighter than mashed sweet potatoes and there was a beautiful golden crust on the top.
beautiful GF dairy free sweet potato souffle!
I served it with the yummy, zesty, dijon wilted spinach (see post below) and broiled flounder with lemon and dill.
What a wonderfully delicious and guilt free supper!
For this souffle, I used both my KitchenAid Stand Mixer to whip the egg whites, and my hand mixer to blend the sweet potatoes. Here's the one I use:

I hope everyone has a fantastic Valentine’s Day tomorrow! <3

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much!! :) glad you stopped by! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!