Monday, December 31, 2012

Friday Night Fish Broil!


It’s Friday! (Don’t worry, I won’t bust out Rebecca Black.) But, Fridays hold a special spot in my heart. You see, up in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, where we have our lake home, every Friday night, the supper clubs have a Friday Night Fish Fry. We’re talking…amazing, greasy goodness. So good that we plan our trips to make sure that our flights arrive in time so we can make the FNFF. Unlimited fried fish, coleslaw, baked beans, baked potato (or fries), and a breadstick. Period. That is what you eat on Fridays in Wisconsin, and it is SO good.
dreaming of the gorgeous Northwoods
Well, tonight, we didn’t have a fish fry….or the amazing sides. But we DID have fish. And it was delicious.
mango, cucumber, red pepper, red onion, lime, & cilantro!
I served Broiled Cod with Mango Lime Salsa, and Cilantro Lime Wild Rice. This is one of my family’s favorite dinners. We have a dear friend staying with us this weekend, and so to welcome J, I made him this meal. You can find my recipes for both the salsa and rice here.
cod with mango lime salsa :)
This meal was so fantastic. First of all, the cod. Oh my Gosh. Lobsta Bakes‘ wild, ocean-caught cod is just amazing. The flakey texture, and melt-in-your-mouth quality, makes this fish one of a kind.  I broiled it with 1 tsp EVOO, lemon zest and juice, salt & pepper. I then topped the fish with fresh slices of lemon. So fabulous. Next, the salsa. Wow, this pairs so well with the flakey, delicate cod.  It is super refreshing, light, bright, sweet, crunchy, and the lime gives it a wonderful *zing.* I could eat a bowl of it plain.
dramatically beautiful wild rice w/ lime & cilantro!
And the wild rice is awesome. If you haven’t had wild rice before, you should definitely give it a try. You cook it exactly like regular rice, but the texture and flavor is truly decadent.  It is crunchy & chewy, and beautifully warm & nutty in flavor. Mix that with the bright lime and fresh cilantro and you’ve got a match made in Heaven.
mmmm!
I am so excited to have J with us for a few days. It turns out he’s going vegan for Lent! Sweet!!
I've had many people ask about zest...how to get it and what tool I use. Well, I use a microplane to zest the outer rind off lemons, limes, oranges, etc. I also use it to grate garlic instead of finely finely mincing it. Here's the one I use: Mine is orange:)

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!