Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Truth about Protein


When you are trying to heal from an Ulcerative Colitis flare, you must rebuild the lining of your intestines. In order to do that, you need amino acids. Where does one find amino acids? In protein!
For vegans, including protein in their diet must be of utmost importance. It definitely has been for me. This is a difficult task though, because I have been avoiding beans due to their high amount of fiber, which would hinder my healing process. Thus, no matter how many cashew-based pasta sauces and tofu scrambles I have, my protein needs for healing are nowhere near being met.
One of the reasons I had decided to eliminate animal products was due to all the antibiotics, growth hormones, genetically modified corn diet, and disease-causing living conditions imposed upon livestock and chicken today.  Food just isn’t the same as when we got eggs and chicken from local farms, and cows grazed on an open field of grass, instead of GMO corn. You can learn more about his through these amazing documentaries:Food Inc.Forks Over KnivesFat, Sick, and Nearly Dead; and Food Matters. You can view these all on Netflix, and I HIGHLY recommend it.
But back to healing: Enter Patient Heal Thyself. This book was written by Jordan Rubin, a guy just like me who had UC and healed himself totally naturally by following the Maker’s Diet: the diet basically designed by God: free range eggs, wild ocean caught fish with scales and fins (NO SHELLFISH), grass-fed livestock with split hooves and that “chews the cud” (NO SWINE (pork)). And instead of cow milk….grass fed GOAT milk!
Rubin also takes Primal Defense Ultra Probiotics...and so do I! You can get them here: 
So I decided to ditch my tofu for a while a try this out. I started incorporating Ohio farm fresh organic eggs and ocean caught fish from Maine flown in every morning from Lobsta Bakes about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and I can honestly say I can feel my body healing.  It is really exciting. I think the Maker’s Diet is really onto something. So for my vegans out there, my next slew of recipes all contain eggs, or fish.
So for my first recipe, I made Roma Pasta with a “Fried” Egg and Mini Veggie Frittatas!
For the pasta, I stir-fried onions and garlic in 2 t EVOO, added in some mushrooms, tomatoes and fresh basil. I also added a touch of pasta water to stretch the sauce.  I added the cooked pasta to the pan and stirred it all together. “Fried” 2 eggs in nothing but a non-stick pan and some olive oil spray. The beauty of this dish is that the egg becomes the sauce. You break the yolk and then stir it in to the rest of the pasta. I cannot tell you how yummy this was.
On the side…mini frittatas!
I cracked 2 eggs in a bowl and beat ‘em up. I added sautéed onions, mushrooms, spinach, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, olives, salt and pepper. I poured this mixture into 6 *olive oil sprayed* muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees until the eggs are set…probably 10 minutes give or take.
This meal was so unbelievably delicious and high in healing protein!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent and very educative post! What other foods contain amino acids?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!