Sunday, December 30, 2012

Mexican Sweet Potato Gratin w/ Flounder!

The scrumptious recipe for GF & V Mexican Sweet Potato Gratin is available in my new e-book cookbook, The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy, available HERE ---> The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy  - Only $2.99!



The “Un-Fried” Black Beans.

1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup veg stock
juice and zest of 1/2 lime
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp spice mix
handful chopped cilantro
S&P

Saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes with the spices. Add in the black beans and mix for a minute.  Then, mash with a potato masher and stir in the veg stock. Let that evaporate. Before serving, stir in the lime juice, zest, and cilantro. Yum!

mmmmm!
Next: Guacamole
1 avocado
1 Tbsp minced onion
squeeze of lime
1 small garlic clove, grated
1/2 small tomato, seeded and diced small
handful chopped cilantro
salt
Mash avocado with salt and lime juice. Stir everything but the tomatoes in, and then gently fold in the tomatoes. Refrigerate. Delish.

so much nutrition!
Finally, the flounder. Oh my Gosh.Lobsta Bakes did it again! This wild, ocean-caught fish was SO moist and tender. Flounder is a bit of an abstract fish, but wow, you should try it! I broiled it for about 10 minutes with 1 tsp EVOO, the juice and zest of a lemon, S & P. It melts in your mouth. So fresh. So tasty!
This meal was a show stopper. First of all, the presentation was beautiful. You eat with your eyes first, so the plate should look appealing. And boy, this one sure did! There were so many beautiful colors! The burnt orange sweet potatoes, lemony green avocado, bright red tomatoes, black beans, and white fish. Dramatic–let me tell ya.
Finally, the flavors just burst in your mouth! The spice mix in the gratin brings such a spicy heat that is complemented so well by the sweet potatoes that have caramelized. They have this beautiful crust on both the top and bottom that have a sweet, smokey, sticky, caramelization. The fish has a lemony sweetness, and the beans are spicy and fresh with the cilantro. Finally, to round it all out, the guacamole is cooling, creamy, and fresh!

YUM!
I couldn't have made this recipe without my mandoline! This is a great kitchen tool. But it can be dangerous! The one I use has a hand guard. And I definitely use it! I learned my lesson a few weeks ago when I tried to use it without the hand guard. Here's the one I use:

Happy Tummies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!