Sunday, December 30, 2012

Broiled Flounder with Beets and GF Linguini!


Sometimes, dinner time just catches you off guard.  You’ll be busy going about your day and realize its 6:30! Where did today go?!
Wellll, today was one of those days. My dad had picked up beauuuutiful fillets of flounder at Lobsta Bakes that morning, but other than that, dinner was a big old question mark. So, we opened up the fridge and threw some things together. And, as you can see, we ended up making WAY too much food! But all delicious!

waaay too much food
First, the flounder: I put 1 tsp EVOO, salt, pepper, and lemon juice on the fillets and broiled them for about 8 or 9 minutes. Finished with another squeeze of lemon. Delectable.
Next, the beets: I peeled and cubed 2 beets and tossed them with 1 tsp EVOO, salt and pepper, and broiled them for roughly 10 minutes. I sooooo wanted to make a balsamic reduction for them, but time did not permit…*sigh* Just a note: beets stain! You will have purple hands and nails! Be careful of your clothes!

yet soooo delicious
Finally…the linguini ragu of sorts. So my mom just got a new pot: a Le Creuset, which (unlike non-stick pans) allows you to brown onions and meats. Le Creuset pots are amazing because they can go straight from the stove to the oven! And they're so well made. My mom and I commented that we couldn't believe we had waited so long to get one! They are an investment, but they are so worth it. You won't want to cook with anything else ever again! 
So we browned onions and mushrooms in 2 tsp EVOO. We added in 3 garlic cloves and oregano and then de-glazed with some white wine. Finally, we added in a can of organic diced, fire roasted tomatoes and let it simmer until the meal was ready to go. I finished it off with some chiffonade basil. YUMMY. This could have been a meal all in itself! (If I wasn’t in a healing mode and needed the extra protein boost).
Open up the fridge and get creative! You might just surprise yourself!
And if you're interested in the Le Creuset that my mom got, here it is:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!