Sunday, February 10, 2013

Spinach & Artichoke Cabbage Rolls! GF, V, BED, SCD!

Who's watching the Grammy's tonight!? I know I am!

I love awards shows. My favorite part is definitely the red carpet. I love seeing the stars all dressed up.

Well. I was inspired by the red carpet with dinner tonight. I "dressed up" the humble cabbage with these FABULOUS Spinach and Artichoke Cabbage Rolls!



These were beauuuutiful! Deep purple with a vibrant red topping. Simple gorgeous. And it tasted as good as it looks too!



And it's Gluten Free, Vegan, Body Ecology Diet and Specific Carb Diet friendly!



Here's what you need: (serves 1)

7 large cabbage leaves, blanched

Filling:
1 cup frozen artichoke hearts
2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 7 mushrooms) (BED use shiitake)
1 cup baby spinach
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
salt and pepper

Sauce:
1 tomato, chopped (BED omit)
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Blanch your cabbage leaves by putting them in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes -- until soft and pliable. *Note: I like mine a little "al dante," so I only boil for 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, brown your mushrooms in 1 tsp of EVOO. Do not salt them yet. Let them brown first. I do this by putting them in a single layer in the pan, and then let them sit (read: do NOT touch them) for about 4 minutes. Then I flip them, and let the other side brown. Then, I add the garlic and spinach and wilt it. Finally, I add the artichoke, and let them cook for about 5 minutes, until thawed and cooked.
I then transfer this carefully to the food processor with the pine nuts, and pulse it until it is finely chopped. You don't want to puree it, you want it to still have texture.



Then I assemble my rolls! First, I line a caserole dish with tin foil and spray it with olive oil. I then take a cabbage leaf and place about 1-2 Tbsp of the filling in the bottom of the leaf, near the stalk. I then roll it like a burrito, folding in the sides as I go. I then place it seam-side-down in the dish. Makes 7 rolls. Before I put it in the oven, I spritz the top of the rolls with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes.

While it's baking, make the sauce. Saute your onion and garlic in 1 tsp EVOO with the spices, salt and pepper. After it has softened, add your pepper. Let it soften, and finally add in your tomatoes. Let those warm through. Then, carefully transfer this mixture to the food processor and process until chunky-smooth.

To serve, top each roll with a dollop of sauce and garnish with fresh basil if desired. And dig in!!



Boy, oh Boy were these fantastic. The first thing that strikes you about the dish is its beauty. That purple color is seriously stunning. And then bam! The red just jumps off the plate.



And then you take a bite...and you're just taken on a taste vacation! The spinach and artichoke filling is earthy and a little briny, and totally satisfying. And then the bright tomato sauce chimes in with the perfect flavor compliment.



And I loved the cabbage. It was chewy and the perfect vessel for this flavor explosion!

Big week coming up!! Have a great night!

My food processor was the star of this recipe. Here's the one I use and love:

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using purple cabbage with cabbage rolls! Great idea! I hope you enjoyed the grammys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alaine! Yeah, the purple gave it a touch of whimsy:) Thanks for stopping by! Have a great night!

      Delete
  2. I loooove cabbage rolls and ironically, it's hard to find good vegetarian ones! This looks delicious!

    PS. This is still Anna! I just have a new site now so it's not The Guiltless Life anymore...in case there was any confusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I can't wait to check out your new site! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great Sunday!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!