Thursday, September 12, 2013

Tangy Peanut Noodles! GF, V, SCD, BED & Paleo!

Helloooo Autumn!!

Gosh, I'm actually excited for the fall. It's going to be great. Leaves falling, cozy sweaters, pumpkin goodies, fall TV season premieres, Downton Abbey!!, and NFL football. Sounds like a good time to me!

You wouldn't guess it was September today in New York though! It was in the 90s with a heat index of 105! Yikes!

Well, this past weekend, I went home and spent time with my family. I loved hanging out with my niece -- how precious is she!?!



I was able to make some wonderful things when I went home, including this meal! What is it?? Zucchini Noodles with Tangy Peanut Sauce!



My goodness, this was outrageously delicious! A rich, creamy and tangy peanut sauce luxuriously coating crunchy veggies and slurpy zucchini noodles.



And it's Gluten Free, Vegan, Specific Carb Diet and Body Ecology Diet friendly, and Paleo!



Here's what you need: (serves 1)

1 zucchini, "noodlized"

1/2 red pepper, diced
1 carrot, sliced into matchsticks
5 mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 avocado, cubed
1/2 mango, cubed (BED, omit)
1/4 red onion, sliced thin
8 raw cashews, chopped
fresh cilantro, chopped

Sauce:

2 heaping Tbsp peanut butter
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
juice of 1 lime
8 drops pure liquid stevia
1-2 Tbsp water



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. "Noodlize" your zucchini with either a spiralizer, mandolin, or a vegetable peeler. Place your zucchini noodles on a tin foil-lined, olive oil-sprayed baking sheet. Spread them out as evenly as possible. Spritz with olive oil. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until soft and pliable.

Meanwhile, combine your sauce ingredients and set aside.

Next, prep all your veggies. Place your thinly sliced onions in a small bowl or glass of ice water. (This takes away the "onion-y" bite.) In a frying pan, brown your mushrooms by placing them in a single layer with 1 tsp EVOO. Let them sit for 3 minutes, untouched, and then flip and let the other side brown for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, place them on a separate plate and set aside. Then, saute your red pepper and garlic in 1 tsp EVOO for about 3 minutes, until bright red, but still crunchy. Drain your onions after about 10 minutes.



To assemble, toss your zucchini noodles with the veggies, avocado, mango, and peanut sauce. Garnish with your chopped cashews and cilantro.



Wow. Wow. Wow. What a meal! This sauce was so magnificent, I could have bathed in it! Haha It was rich and creamy, peanuty, and slightly sweet and tangy. Combined with the fresh cilantro, chewy mushrooms and crunchy veggies, it was perfect!



And I don't know about you, but I love zucchini noodles. But there's a catch: I like them when they're cooked, and pliable. I'm not really a fan of cold, raw zucchini noodles. I find that when they're warm and "twirl-able," they really do take on a spaghetti feel and taste. 



They're perfect for people who can't have grains, are Lo-Carb, or just looking for a healthy alternative to spaghetti!


The avocado gave a beautiful buttery note to the dish, and the mango was the perfect burst of juicy sweetness! It went fabulously with the peanutty sauce and bright lime juice.



Finally, it was a truly beautiful dish. All the colors just jumped off the plate! 

What are you looking forward to this fall?

Be sure to like GFHT on Facebook and Twitter to get my latest and greatest recipes!


Want more GFHT?  You can now get my e-cookbook, The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy for only $2.99 on Amazon!

6 comments:

  1. Cozy clothes...crunchy leaves as I walk...the smell of the first rain...laying on the couch on a lazy Sunday afternoon watching a great t.v. under a blanket...I LOVE FALL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Me too!! There's something so cozy and warm about it! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Awwwww, your niece is so beautiful!! How nice that you were able to get home to spend some time with her! Isn't being an aunt the best?! :)

    I am so with you, I LOVE the fall! I love the crisp weather, the beautiful colors, the smells, the flavors, the holidays... everything about it!

    Oooh that peanut sauce sounds absolutely delicious! I love peanut sauce and zucchini pasta is so yummy and light. This meal looks beautiful and I love the addition of the mushrooms. It must add a nice heartiness and some great texture too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah! You're so right....being an aunt is the absolute BEST!! :) and thanks! Yeah there's something so satisfying about zucchini noodles...I think it's the slurping! Haha thanks for stopping by! Have an excellent week!

      Delete
  3. I love the fall too- I love the style, the weather, smells, flavours, sounds, everything! I'm so happy it's here :) And it actually came early to us this year which I LOVE!

    This looks so good! I'm with you on cooked zucchini noodles, they are so much more my preference. Sometime though to eat them raw I will salt them, let them sweat, then rinse them. They get softer and "cooked"-like that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey gabby! Oh that's a great tip about salting the raw zucchini noodles! I'll have to try that next time. Thanks:) and I know I can't wait for the fall fashion! Boots and sweaters! Yes please!! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!