Saturday, January 5, 2013

Grilled Romaine & Nectarine Salad! GF, V, SCD w/ BED Opt’n!


I have a confession: I secretly love Mondays:)
Grilled Romaine and Nectarine Salad!
I know, I know — I can hear the groans through the screen:) But hear me out:
I love how Mondays are a fresh start! You have the entire week ahead of you to make the most of. And with just over a week of the Specific Carb Diet under my belt, I’m big on fresh starts. :)
yum!
This week, I’m looking forward to continuing the healing process of my Ulcerative Colitis flare, and hopefully seeing some progress from the new diet!
yellow plate special!
So what did I make for dinner tonight? I made a glorious Grilled Romaine and Nectarine Salad!
Smokey, tender-crisp romaine leaves, topped with grilled veggies, succulent & sweet nectarines, and buttery avocado.
Succulent and Sweet Nectarines!
It’s Gluten Free, Vegan, and SCD with a BED option!
Here’s what you need: (serves 2)
1 heart of romaine, halved
1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
3 carrots, sliced in half, lengthwise
4 shiitake mushrooms
1 red pepper, quartered
1 stalk of broccoli, broken into florets
1/4 red onion, sliced thin
1 nectarine, halved (BED omit – sorry!)
1/2 avocado, diced
Dressing:
1 part lemon juice
3 parts EVOO
splash of water
salt and pepper
5 drops of honey (BED use 2 drops alcohol free pure liquid stevia)
Prep all your veggies. After you slice your onion, soak it in ice water for 10 minutes – this gets rid of the bitter, onion-y bite. Place the rest of your veggies (minus avocado) in a large gallon ziplock bag and toss with 2 Tsp EVOO, salt and pepper. Then, place them on a screamin’ hot grill pan and grill for about 2-3 minutes per side – until tender-crisp. The carrots will need about 4 minutes per side. Brush the cut side of your nectarine with EVOO and grill for about <2 minutes, cut side down. Finally, grill the romaine, cut-side-down for about 1-2 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk your dressing ingredients together.
Gluten Free, Vegan, and SCD w/ BED option!
When you take your veggies off the grill, chop them into bite-sized pieces. Put them over the grilled romaine, and top with the diced avocado and dressing.
amazing grilled veggies!
This meal was a flavor explosion! The grilled veggies and romaine had a smokey flavor that made the sweetness in the nectarine just POP! And by grilling the nectarine, it brings out the sweetness even more!
carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms, oh my!
And the textures were fabulous! A beautiful thing happens to romaine when you grill it: Some of it remains crunchy, while some of it wilts and becomes smokey and warm. It’s a texture bonanza! And the buttery avocado completes the dish perfectly!
How do you feel about Mondays?
See ya tomorrow!
Need a grill pan? It makes grilling all year 'round possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!