Thursday, November 27, 2014

A Note on Thanksgiving

A Thanksgiving Post:

Two years ago, if you would have asked me what I would be thankful for today, I would have never in a million years thought that I’d be saying that the hell I endured during my last Ulcerative Colitis flare would top my list in 2014.

But that’s exactly what I’m saying. I’m sitting here on an airplane flying back to Cincinnati from NYC, where, since my flare, one could say that I am living life abundantly.

If you’re new to my blog and don’t know my story, you can read about it here in depth, but here’s a short recap:

In 2012, while I was in the midst of a show in NYC, my Ulcerative Colitis reared its ugly head and I entered into a severe flare that would last 11 months.



I had to move home, and went to dozens of doctors. No pill, potion, or powder could kick me out of this flare. I tried everything from prescription drugs, natural medicines and remedies, faith healers, mega drugs – but my body rejected everything. The last option was surgery. So finally, after 8 months of frustration and misery, I decided to try to heal myself through diet. I adopted the Specific Carb Diet, and with the grace of God, I was healed of Ulcerative Colitis flare.




Back to the present, one would think that I am bitter about that year that derailed my life. That I’d resent the fact that I had to spend the year on bed rest, away from my friends, and coping with the excruciating pain from a flare and its complications.

However, two years out, I am filled with a sense of peace and serenity about the situation. And as Thanksgiving draws near, and I have 2 hours to kill on the plane, I’ve come to realize that these feelings I have towards that year are none other than gratefulness.




There is a grossly overused phrase that “you can’t get to the rainbow without the rain.” Other variations include, but are not limited to: “April Showers Bring May Flowers,” or “you don’t appreciate the light until you’ve been in the dark,“ or “if life gives you lemons….” Blah blah blah. But truth be told, these quips hold more weight than we like to admit.



Allow me to elaborate: there really are no words to describe the intense appreciation of life and joy and happiness, until you’ve truly been in a very dark place. Since my flare, my motto has become “always say yes.” ((I’ve discussed this with my friends, and with chuckles they always say, ‘don’t say that around boys’))…but come on, guys, where’s your mind. I mean that, I want to take advantage of everything life has to offer. I want to suck the nectar out of life and live it to the absolute fullest. That year taught me that life can literally change in the blink of an eye and everything you know can be taken away: so belly up to the bar and LIVE!!



Another aspect of that year that I am grateful for is that I learned how to truly take care of myself. As a 22-year-old woman, I learned exactly what my body needs to thrive. I learned that I am not invincible, and that I have to put my health first. For that, I am grateful. So many young twenty somethings exist on liquor, ramen, and pizza. My flare taught me that I, unfortunately, cannot live like that.

Lastly (there are many others, but this is getting lengthy, so I will end here), I will always cherish the time that I had at home with my family. Living at home as 22 year old, was a) humbling, but also, it allowed me to get to know my parents as an adult, which is very different from how I left for college at 18. Our relationship reached a whole new level, and I am so grateful for that time together. I got to spend time with my brothers and their wives. I was shown just how much our family pulls together when someone is in need. It strengthened the foundation that had been built since day one, only this time, as adults that are no longer fighting over the Nintendo 64, or controlling the remote.



My flare made me grow up. It made me into a woman that takes care of herself; a girl that has dwelled long enough in the dark that now appreciates the light with an intensity that rivals a scene from Cast Away.

But in closing, I want to offer this tidbit: sometimes, the painful experiences that we’ve closed off or bottled up and hidden away, deserve a second look. Sometimes, where we are today has been formed by the lessons we’ve learned from those experiences, whether we realize it or not. Maybe it takes an airplane ride with Thanksgiving looming to realize it, or maybe just the power of suggestion.

I wish you all a beautiful Thanksgiving. May we remember today all that we have been blessed with, and be grateful for it. And may we remember all those who are in need, of things either materially or emotionally.

Happy Thanksgiving, my Happy Tummies.

17 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! May you enjoy moments of relaxation and joy among people you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so wonderful - you don't appreciate good health until something challenges it. I can't imagine having to try all those pills, lotions, "potions" etc. Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than thank you so much Lauren. Yeah, it was definitely a trying year. Thankful to be on the other side:) glad you stopped by! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. What a touching post...you have certainly had a journey! So glad you have been finding help through your diet. Although I do not have a condition like yours I do notice that when I keep sugar and fine wheat to a minimum I feel much better overall. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much:) yeah it's pretty amazing how what we put in our bodies can make such a difference on how we feel! glad you stopped by! thanks for your kind comment:)

      Delete
  4. I didnt realize you were from Cincinnati. A now-defunct vegan blogger used to eat at Melt a lot. Always looked so good.

    Thanks for sharing your journey. I do so much wish I could be gluten-free. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shen! Yeah, i've heard amazing things about Melt! I appreciate that :) thanks for checking in. your comments are always a highlight! i hope you're having a relaxing and lovely thanksgiving.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post!! Everything happens for a reason, whatever it may be. You have a great outlook on a not so great situation, but you've clearly grown from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany. Yeah life is definitely an unexpected journey! Thanks so much for stopping by! Enjoy your night!

      Delete
  6. what a positive post. We all take our health for granted and really should learn to appreciate what we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much:) yeah it's crazy what life throws at us sometimes! I'm thankful to have such great people by my side through it all. Thanks for your encouragement! Have a great thanksgiving weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dixya! I appreciate that. Glad you stopped by! Have a great night!

      Delete
  8. Speaking of gifts, we understand that Thanksgiving can be a busy time, and sometimes, you may need a little extra help. If you find yourself with a pile of assignments and need some assistance, don't hesitate to reach out. Our website is a place where we not only share cooking tips and recipes but also offer support for students and professionals alike. If you need someone to "write my assignment," our team of experts is here to help you succeed in your academic endeavors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! They make my day!