How's everyone's week going?!
It was just a beauuuutiful day here in NYC. It was 70 degrees and just lovely outside. I took an evening walk and captured the sunset. So pretty.
SO. Since we are officially entering the holiday season (read: lots of feasting and drinking), I thought I might dedicate a post to...JUICE!
Now, before you roll your eyes, or change the "channel," just hear me out:
First Things First: I don't personally advocate a juice "fast." I want to be clear about that. My motto is "everything in moderation." But if that's your thing, then more power to ya. I like to think of juicing as a great supplement to a healthy diet!
That being said: say you had an especially indulgent weekend (*cough* Halloween *cough*), or are feeling a little under the weather, or have "fallen off the wagon" in terms of healthy eating: having a green juice for breakfast is a terrific way to get your body back on track and into health mode!
That's right! Kinda a "no brainer," but green juice is suuuuper healthy. Drinking fresh pressed juice provides your body with a highly concentrated dose of vitamins and minerals. Plus, when you drink it within 20 minutes of pressing, the live enzymes from the juice actively repair the cells of your body! Juicing also strengthens your immune system, builds strong bones, helps with weight loss, and gives you an energy boost too:) What's not to love?
Would ya look at all those active enzymes -- mmm ;) Get In My Belly!!
Juice can also be great for an afternoon pick me up! When the 3 o'clock slump hits, who needs Starbucks when you can enjoy a green juice!?
Now, you may be thinking ... "enjoy" and "green juice" in the same sentence? This girl has lost her marbles. Well, not quite.
You see, there's a system to making green juice taste great, while still packing in the dark leafy greens.
Enter: the "trinity" of all your juicing needs: GINGER, LEMON, & GREEN APPLE
Yep, just make sure to include half a lemon, an apple, and 1/2 inch nub of ginger in your juice, and you'll be all set!
Additionally, I like to stick to a 70/30 or a 60/40 (if you're new to juicing) ratio of vegetables to fruit. 70% of what you add should be veggies, and 30% should be fruit for the most delicious and nutritious bevvy.
So here's what I had for breakfast this morning:
*Caralyn's Standard Green Juice* (Serves One)
4 Stalks of Celery
5 Stalks of Kale
1/2 inch nub of peeled ginger
This is my favorite juice. It's sweet and tangy with a "zing" from the ginger. I'm not kidding guys: you can't taste the kale.
You could even get kids excited about drinking this "Shrek Juice!"
1) Put a plastic bag in the "garbage" part of your juicer -- where the pulp is discarded. That way, you won't have to clean the basket because it's in the bag! (Because, let's be honest: cleaning the juicer can be a pain.)
2) If you're pinched for time, make a double or triple batch ahead of time. 3 Juices -- 1 Cleaning of the Machine. Just be sure to store them in a sealed glass container in the fridge. They keep for up to 2 days. Just be sure to shake before drinking!
3) You can peel ginger with a spoon! Yep! So much easier, and less dangerous too!
4) Be sure to peel the skin off of your lemon -- the skin gives your juice a bitter taste.
5) Even with the "holy trinity," if you still think it needs to be sweeter, you can add a few drops of pure liquid stevia. (Just be sure to use alcohol free).
6) Finally, drink your juice out of a wine or martini glass -- it makes you feel special, and that you're treating yourself -- because you are!! :D
Alright guys, cheers to health!!